Thursday, January 6, 2011

A Spot of Temperance


Yesterday had an awful lot of drinking in it. That seems to be the activity of choice at my house: drink too much, complain of the consequences of drinking too much, make a mess, neglect dinner, that sort of thing. My three-year-old sister enjoys free run of the house at such times and gets into all sorts of good mischief. (She's still learning to use the "big girl potty," and at one point, I came across an abandoned pair of panties in the hall. You can perhaps imagine why they were abandoned.)

If there's one good thing I can say about all this, it's that witnessing what is done/said during such parties and what is suffered after have thoroughly cured me of any desire to drink. In terms of temperance, I fall somewhere between the Eighteenth Amendment and Southern Baptists... only I don't care if you want to dance.

Okay. Since I couldn't muster much of an anecdote, here's a picture. It's the first in a series of illustrated idioms, which were inspired by a late-night conversation I had with Roommate. I have played the idiom recall game at inappropriate moments ever since: at work, in bed, during tests, in the shower. Don't start, or you'll be trapped in it forever.

(Happy 2011.)

No comments:

Post a Comment